Some call themselves administrative assistants while others prefer to be called administrative professionals. And every so often you meet someone who doesn’t mind to be called by the older title of secretary. But no one can deny that most of these roses, by any other name, would still be indispensible to their organisations.
The other day I overheard one assistant saying to another: “Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.” (Sic).
Don’t worry ladies (and gentlemen), your day is coming – very soon.
At Soapbox we believe that next to excellence is the appreciation thereof. To all the bosses out there: Here are some tips on how to show more appreciation towards your right hand lady in the workplace.
- Show praise – No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks. Appreciate everything your assistants do for the business. Nothing else can quite substitute for a few well-chosen, well-timed, sincere words of praise – they’re absolutely free and worth a fortune.
- Ask Questions – Try to get to know your secretary, this will make them feel like you are interested in their lives outside of work too and make them feel valued and cared about.
- Small gestures – everyone needs food, correct? When you run out to buy yourself something to eat, grab something for your secretary whether is peanuts or chocolates, everyone enjoys receiving something as it makes us feel special. It has been said that time is an illusion. For most assistants lunchtime is doubly so.
- The extra mile – Your secretary goes the extra mile for you daily, try doing the same by decorating their table or office when it’s their birthday or when they have accomplished a personal or work related goal.
- Gifts – small gifts show remarkable return on investment? An assistant who feels appreciated and acknowledged achieves more and has a better attitude. A good idea is to stock up on small gifts and periodically show your appreciation by giving a gift – don’t only wait for secretary day. If creative gift giving is not you thing, visit http://www.soapboxpromo.co.za and get a few ideas.
- Be punctual – Be on time for work, being late will obviously not impress your boss.
- Expect the unexpected – Secretaries are second in line when it comes to knowing everything in the work environment, after the boss. Be prepared for any unexpected questions that your boss might need answers to, make sure you are always on track with goals and things happening within in the company.
- Make your bosses diary your priority – Your boss has many other things to worry about so the probability of him/her forgetting something is a given. Ensure that you stay on top of your boss’s diary so that you can always remind them of any meetings or important tasks that need to be done.
- Pay Attention to detail – Listen to everything! If you find it difficult to remember certain things then try making notes.
- Keep a secret will you – Your boss is likely to share a lot of confidential information with you regarding the company, thus confidentiality is a very important quality that is expected of a secretary. Don’t share information that you know is not to be shared.
- Be professional and LOOK professional – Since you are the first impression clients will get of your boss and your organisation, it is important to make a great first impression and then live up to that promise. Always wear clothes that speak of good taste and sophistication.
If you would like to spoil you secretary this Secretary’s Day contact Soapbox Promo & Gifts on 012 804 0066 or visit our website at www.soapboxpromo.co.za today!